[mythtv-users] MythWeb filename to actual filename

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Apr 8 16:13:08 UTC 2009

On 04/08/2009 02:12 AM, Raymond Wagner wrote:
> Bobby Gill wrote:
>> I perhaps have missed it somewhere in this thread, so forgive my
>> noobness with symlinks, but how do I copy the recordings from the
>> symlink dir?
> 'cp -L' will copy the target rather than the link itself.

And--though Raymond's answer is the best answer, as you should never
rely on defaults--on systems that use GNU coreutils, cp (with no
arguments) defaults to following symlinks.  Generally, -L is only
required when you put in certain arguments that would imply you do not
want to dereference symlinks.

And the wonderful thing about copying the link is that you actually get
the link name as the file name for the new file if you specify only a
directory target.

Mike