[mythtv-users] long delays responding to keystrokes and ir events

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 05:24:58 UTC 2009

On Sun, Apr 5, 2009 at 10:03 AM, Josh Mastronarde <jmastron at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 5, 2009 at 7:27 AM, Allen Edwards <allen.p.edwards at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > My myth box has become almost unusable due to this delay issue.  I have
> > reboot to get it to work at all.  What bothers me is that I have done
> > nothing to the machine except use it, no updates or fresh installs and
> > suddenly the delay problem goes from once a month to once several times a
> > show. Once I reboot, I can get through a show but before that, every time
> > hit a key I get a multi-minute delay.
> > I have seen the patch that may address this and understand that updating
> the
> > fixes may also help.  However, I am not experienced enough to know what
> > do with this patch file.  Is there a detailed set of instructions, like
> 50
> > numbered steps, that will fix this problem?
> > Allen
>
> Allen, the first step to see if you're seeing the same issue before
> attempting any fix is to run with libav logging:
>
> $ mythfrontend -v important,libav > some_log_file
>
> Play an example of each type of recording you have (especially
> non-basic-mpeg2 recordings, such as HDHomerun mpeg ts files).  Then:
>
> $ grep "Input #" some_log_file
>
> If things are working properly, you'll see one line per file played
> (might be some extraneous ones from the preview window), and it'll be
> right the first time (e.g. PVR150 files will be "mpeg", HDHomerun will
> be "mpegts", and mp4 h.264 files will be "mov,...").  If you see any
> wrong types for a given file (e.g. a single HDHR file first as "mpeg"
> and then as "mpegts"), and/or many,many lines that continue while the
> file is playing, you're having the same issue.
>
> The .tar.gz file that I posted on mediafire has a README with some
> high level instructions.  I didn't make it truly beginner-proof,
> mainly because I was short on time, but also because I'm not 100%
> comfortable with passing random binaries around like this; people
> should know the basics of what they're replacing and who it's from.
> So if you're comfortable with general linux stuff (links, copying,
> etc), go for it.  I'll be happy to help (on-list or off) if you need
> further guidance.
>
> Josh

I am happy to report I have gone 2 days without any IR remote hang ups.  I
think this patch solved my problem and I am extremely grateful.  Thank you
so much for posting this.

It was very easy to do.  When all was said and done, I just copied your file
as root over to the target directory and that was that.  Rebooted and all
was good.

Allen