[mythtv-users] First ION desktop officially announced - Acer AspireRevo

Travis Tabbal travis at tabbal.net
Wed Apr 8 03:44:50 UTC 2009

On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 9:34 PM, Paul
<pturpin+mythtv at gmail.com<pturpin%2Bmythtv at gmail.com>
> wrote:

> While there may not be a bare hardware versions, if the earlier leaked
> information about the "hornet" is accurate (
> http://www.engadget.com/2009/03/31/ion-based-acer-hornet-nettop-specs-leak-out-1080p-hdmi-playback/),
> there will be different versions. However expecting there to really be a
> $150 version may likely just be wishful thinking. Not that i would complain
> if it did happen though, the standard version seems to have sufficient specs
> for a nice frontend.

That version looks nice as well. Personally, the smallest HD is fine with
me, 80GB is more than I need for the frontend. I'd probably put at least 2GB
of RAM in there though. If nothing else, it's cache for the HDD and network
data.

I'd love it if they made something available for around $200, that's about
what it costs me to build a nice FE box now, and these ION based units are
significantly smaller and prettier. That's worth a bit to me for some
applications. Even at $300, they will be in the running for my next FE
machine whenever I buy one.  For bonus points, they really should include a
Linux supported IR receiver like the Mac Mini does. :)