[mythtv-users] Ripped DVD recordings have skips

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 20:41:15 UTC 2009

In the US it is legal to make a backup copy for personal use under "fair
use".  It is illegal to defeat copy protection.  This is the source of the
ambiguity that is quoted.  However, simply decoding something that is copy
protected cannot be illegal or every DVD player on the market would be
illegal.  So it has to go to the end use.  If you decode something that is
copy protected for the purpose of selling it, that is clearly illegal.  If
you decode copy protected material for a legal use, like watching a movie or
making a backup copy for your own use, that cannot be illegal.  I am not
a lawyer although I did take a law class at Stanford a long time ago.  This
is not a legal opinion, it is my opinion.
Allen