[mythtv-users] myth.find_orphans.pl , why did I ? sob....

Johnny jarpublic at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 16:49:16 UTC 2009

> Currently trying to recover the recording from the XFS filesystem, guess
> who also did not have a database backup ?

I recently lost some recordings when I read the rsync man page a
little too quickly. I was on xfs and after a lot of searching
determined that there was not any way to recover the recording from
xfs. The closest thing would be to find some sort of search of the raw
disk that could recognize mpeg2 (or whatever format your recordings
are in), but this wouldn't handle fragmented files even if it worked
and you would lose all filenames, etc. So on the far off chance that
you actually found some files they would likely be corrupt and
wouldn't have names that mythtv relies on.

> If I am completely nailed, then perhaps it was about time I had a
> cleanout, is there are doc anywhere on recreating the myth database, or
> is it simply a case of dropping it my PhpMyadmin ?

Why do you need to recreate the database? Do you still suspect
corruption? Or is this because all of your recordings were deleted?
Even if the orphaned script deleted the recordings and told the
database that they were deleted. There is still information in your
database about what has been recorded and about your recording rules,
etc. So I doubt you just want to start fresh. If you still want to go
ahead with that route, then you will want to check out:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore for the proper
way to do full or partial backups and restore jobs. Also note that you
will probably want to add mike dean's patch to the script
(http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/6013) to avoid any corruption. On
the up side you don't need to worry too much about corruption when you
have no data ;-).