[mythtv-users] Ripped DVD recordings have skips

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 14:45:34 UTC 2009

On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 6:50 AM, James Oltman <cnlibmyth at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 8:01 AM, James Crow <james at ultratans.com> wrote:
>
>> Allen Edwards wrote:
>>
>>> Watched a video tonight and there were several skips in it, perhaps as
>>> many as 5 in the movie.  My daughter said the same thing happened to her on
>>> another movie.  She said it is in the recording and not in the playback.  I
>>> had a frontend log going and nothing showed up on that.  The skips seem like
>>> a 1/2 second missing, more or less.
>>>
>>> I searched the archives YTD and didn't find anything.
>>>
>>> Anyone know about this?  I have mythbuntu 8.04 fixes 19878 on an AMD
>>> 5400+
>>>
>>> What log file should I run the next time I have a movie to rip?
>>> Is there a file I need to update?  I don't do updates unless I know for
>>> sure it will fix a problem as they always seem to break some unrelated
>>> feature.
>>>
>>> Allen
>>>

>> I noticed what may be similar on a movie rip this weekend. The movie was
>> ripped with DVDHDFab under Wine and then the directory containing the
>> VIDEO_TS folder was dumped into my Myth video directory. When watching the
>> movie I saw two or three brief periods of black. Less than a second each
>> time. It could have been the movie skipping or just a section of black in
>> the video. It was not distracting enough for me look in the log files and
>> see what happened.
>>
>> Is this what happened for you?
>>
>> I am running Mythbuntu 8.10 with Jean-Yves VDPAU repo. I am at 20xxx
>> something.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> James
>>

> What you are witnessing is the result of DRM.  I've had this happen with a
> lot of my own movies (read: purchased).  I'd say it has been only recent
> movies, but even older ones have had this happen.  The only way I've found
> around it is to purchase software (AnyDVD) and let it take care of that DRM
> messiness.  I have heard there are ways around it with Linux software, but
> it's much more complicated.
>
> Jim

I am surprised that if AnyDVD is capable of dealing with this that linux
isn't.  Is this complicated way computable with Myth?  That is the whole
point, otherwise I could just put the disk in the DVD and play it.  Ripping
gives me a video jukebox which is what I want.  Do you have any useful links
on the subject?

Allen