[mythtv-users] internal player for DVDs (selecting track?)

Marc Randolph mrand at pobox.com
Tue Apr 7 14:19:27 UTC 2009

On Sun, Mar 1, 2009 at 4:33 PM, Bill Williamson <bill at bbqninja.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 1, 2009 at 4:10 AM, Vern <spamvern at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> The internal player for DVDs does not seem to work very well for me.  It
>> allows me to play maybe 1 in 15 movies (from the DVD or a .iso, it does not
>> seem to matter).  For the rest it gets stuck in a loop playing either a
>> preview or one of the other many shorts before a movie starts (THX logo,
>> studio ad, etc.).
>>
>> I end up having to drop out of Myth and use mplayer where I can specify
>> the track that is the movie or just using my standard DVD player which is
>> usually less hassel by that time.  Is there any way to specify the track
>> number the internal player should use or tell it to auto-select the longest
>> track or anything like that?
>>
>> Or alternately, does any one have any ideas why I only get about 1 out of
>> 15 DVDs to actaully play the movie?  I can't believe it is that unusable for
>> everyone but no one else seems to be complaining about not being able to
>> watch anything.  Ideally I would get rid of my cheap-o DVD player but at
>> present, Myth's inability to play DVDs without a lot of messing around
>> precludes that for others in the household.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

> What exact version/distro are you on?  I'm on -fixes on Ubuntu and have the
> opposite.  About 1/15 doesn't work.
>
> About 1/5 DOES haev odd glitches, especially with intros with stillframes.
> If you simply hit skip (down arrow) it sorts itself out.

So... for those 1/15 that don't work - what are people on 0.21-fixes
doing?  http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/5630 implies that there are
some known but unsolved problems with 0.21.  Anyone tried digging into
it even deeper, or are people just living with it until 0.22?  Or is
are there particular versions of external players that seem to fix
most of the problems?

Mythbuntu 9.04 is coming up, and an (increasingly) largish number of
people will continue to have these problems.  Just wondering what
everyone is doing.

Thank you,

   Marc