[mythtv-users] MYthTV Playback is Choppy

Brian Schmidt firehawk78 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 14:04:57 UTC 2009

I'm running the latest stable MythTV updated via yum on a Fedora Core 10
box. The machine is a Shuttle PC that is multiple years old. It has the
nForce2 chipset. I'm running the latest 96.43 Nvidia drivers also updated
via yum. The TV output is functional and is using the Nvidia drivers (the
Nvidia logo appears as X starts). I'm running Xorg and Gnome. I have a
Hauppage HVR-1600 installed and I'm receiving over-the-air ATSC digital
broadcasts in NTSC format.

At first I thought the issue was the CPU and memory of my older system.
However, I can record shows without issue and I can play them back without
issue using mplayer. The only time my playback is choppy is when I use Myth
to play the recorded TV show back. I've been searching through the mailing
list archives and other forums for a few weeks, but I haven't been able to
resolve the issue. My best results have come when having Myth configured to
use libmpeg for decoding and chromakey for the OSD. I've tried different
deinterlacers and I've had mixed results. I've also followed the Optimizing
Performance on the Myth wiki along with the "Hacking MythTV" book.

Another thing to note is that I can't seem to set any resolution other than
1024. This box is for my parents and they do not have an HD TV, so I'm fine
with running a lower res and was hoping that might help, but X refuses and
keeps automatically switching back to 1024.

I appreciate any help that anyone can offer me. Previously, this system was
up and running using an older version of Myth and a Hauppage analog-only
card.

Thanks,
Brian