[mythtv-users] upgrading MySQL

Greg Woods greg at gregandeva.net
Mon Apr 6 21:53:31 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-04-06 at 17:02 -0400, Jacob Steenhagen wrote:

> If you're concerned with an up to the minute DB backup for disaster
> recovery purposes, you could just use MySQL replication to replicate
> your DB to MySQL running on another server.

MySQL replication is a pain to set up, but I've considered that. I've
also considered using heartbeat and DRBD to replicate the database; I
want to do heartbeat for my DHCP and DNS server anyway. It's just a low
priority project that I haven't gotten around to doing yet.

> I'd say for most cases, a nightly dump is sufficient.

I think so too; at most a few recordings would have their entries lost
and it wouldn't be that hard to recreate those. This is basically what I
plan to do.

I was actually able to recover the old database (mostly) from the
binaries. I had to copy the binaries to a compatible system (i386
instead of x86_64), fire up mysqld. I found that I could not do a
mysqldump because there were errors related to the weather* tables (lord
knows why those, since I rarely use Mythweather). Even mysqlcheck could
not fix whatever was wrong. But what I could do was to dump out the rest
of the tables individually, so I installed 0.21 from atrpms, let
mythbackend build an empty database, then read in those sql files for
each table. Then install trunk, let mythbackend upgrade the database,
and voila! It works. VDPAU is awesome and now I'm working on getting my
HD-PVR to work.

--Greg