[mythtv-users] Help Using MythTv

David Watkins watkinshome at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 08:09:24 UTC 2009

>> Now to start it I use two terminal windows one to start the backend and
>> one to start the frontend. Is there a way to have the backend start
>> automatically when the frontend is started? ... And shutdown when the
>> frontend is stopped?

As Paul suggested, the backend is normally run as a daemon or service,
and started using the provided startup script with something like:

/etc/init.d/mythbackend start

or

service mythbackend start

so you could write your own script to start the backend followed by
the frontend.

The backend can be configured to "shut down on idle", which means that
when you close the frontend the backend will shut down too, as soon as
it finishes any current recordings.