[mythtv-users] How to use tmdb.pl with MythVideo/MythWeb

Bobby Gill bobbygill at rogers.com
Sun Apr 5 22:17:47 UTC 2009

> SELinux isn't a Linux distribution; it's a security framework that
> permits or disables various actions. If Mike's right, in order to get
> the script working it'll need to be patched to use an absolute
> pathname. You can disable SELinux on your system entirely (on my
> CentOS system, it's controlled via /etc/selinux/config, then a
> reboot), but that's a pretty drastic step just to use one perl script.
>
> --

Yup, I'm aware of that, I should have phrased it better. I am definitely
*NOT* using SELinux, though.

Andrew is encountering the similar challenge, but *IS* using SELinux, so
this seems strange to me.

I posted to the Arch forums and a user responded with this:

"The error you are receiving (Insecure dependency in require while running
setgid) has to do with perl's taint mode.  The perl interpreter runs scripts
in taint mode if you request it with the -T flag or automatically if the
script file has the setuid or setgid flag set.

Taint mode is meant to be more secure by not trusting any outside input.
Untrusted input like maliciously crafted user input for example.  The setuid
or setgid bits for files can be turned on with chmod to allow an executable
to run with the permissions of its owner user or group.

So, according to the error message, you have setgid turned on for the script
file (or its directory?).  Is this necessary for MythTV to work?  I've never
used it.  You could also try replacing the top of the perl script with
something like:"

He then instructed me to modify the first line to -Uw, the same as Robert
had done earlier in this thread, so no change unfortunately.

Thanks
Bob