[mythtv-users] CentOS vs Fedora, RAID vs LVM

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Sun Apr 5 00:55:41 UTC 2009

Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> I weighted that decision between using dd and rsync.. And decided on
> rsync for two reasons:
> 1-My existing disk was only 70% full, with dd it would have copied the
> whole lot, so copying 600GB of empty data not required
> 2-as my existing drives aren't healthy, it was likely it could fail
> with a read error while copying. With rsync I can restart whenever.

That's true.  If dd had bailed out with a read error you would have had
no way to try again without starting from the beginning.

> Anyway, it's all completed now...
> All I have to do now, is stop all the process accessing the drive ;
> re-run rsync once and swap the disk over.

Another good point -- if you'd used dd you would have had to stop the
processes during the original copy, since copying a live filesystem
would probably result in a corrupt copy.