[mythtv-users] upgrading MySQL

Boleslaw Ciesielski bolek-mythtv at curl.com
Sat Apr 4 17:21:49 UTC 2009

Yeechang Lee wrote:
> Boleslaw Ciesielski <bolek-mythtv at curl.com> says:
>> If you convert your database to InnoDB then you can use
>>
>>      mysqldump --single-transaction --skip-lock-tables
>>
>> which does not lock any tables but still dumps consistent state.
>
> When I asked about using this option I was warned against it
> (<URL:http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/262375#262375>;
> almost exactly two years ago, in fact); if you differ on the subject
> I'd appreciate hearing your thoughts.

This thread does not mention --single-transaction at all. The way I
understand it, --single-transaction is an alternative to --lock-tables
(in fact they are mutually exclusive) if one wants to dump consistent
state yet not to block applications for the duration of the dump. The
drawback is that --single-transaction only works with InnoDB tables.

But I am no expert on mysql, this is just from reading the mysqldump man
page.

Bolek