[mythtv-users] HD-PVR: unfortunately, closed-captioning is a deal-breaker

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Sat Apr 4 10:01:45 UTC 2009

On Sat, 2009-04-04 at 01:01 -0400, Marc Barrett wrote:
> I have held off buying an HD-PVR because the lack of
> closed-captioning is a real deal-breaker for me.  I saw a
> little blurb somewhere on the Hauppauge site that said
> that they may add it in the future.  Would anyone know
> of a tech support e-mail address at Hauppauge so I can
> let them know that I am holding off buying one until they
> address closed-captioning support?

It would be pointless. It is legally impossible to do in the USA. You
can do open captioning by simply turning on whatever caption support
your STB provides, but the actual caption data is hidden in the
encrypted portion of the video stream and decoding it outside the STB
would be a gross violation of the DMCA. It should be noted that the
closed captioning industry fought for this obviously crappy system
and for the rest of the god awful EIA-708 standard.

-- Daniel