[mythtv-users] Comcast & Firewire STB's without 5C/Firewire equipment

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Sat Apr 4 01:14:25 UTC 2009

On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 5:55 PM, Robert McNamara
<robert.mcnamara at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 5:50 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Question - can a single 1394 interface running either the newer or
>> older Linux Firewire stacks control more than one STB? Clearly 1394
>> itself wouldn't have any problem but possibly the Firewire stack in
>> Linux isn't good at that sort of thing? No big deal as I probably have
>> 3 or 4 old 1394 cards around, but it would be nice not to have to
>> worry about running out of PCI slots. My server has 3 and two are
>> currently used with PVRs.
>
> Yep, I've daisy chained up to three before without issues.  Both the
> firewire stack and Myth work very nicely with multiple 1394 tuners on
> a single box.  I have heard of some people who had issues with daisy
> chaining, I just didn't have them myself.
>
> Note that I only have experience with the old stack, although Jarod
> recently did some work to get the JuJu stack working properly, and I
> think he had that going-- there are just a lot fewer people with
> experience there.
>
> Robert

Good to know. I'll see about dropping a 1394 card into my current BE
and getting it working with the old stack. I've got some 1394 disk
drives but nothing that uses the DV drivers. Do you know off the top
what drivers you had to load?

I've watched a few of Jarod's emails go by on the 1394-users list so I
knew he was working on it but I haven't paid all that much attention
to the results. I'll stick with the old stack until I get more info.

Thanks!

- Mark