[mythtv-users] Comcast & Firewire STB's without 5C/Firewire equipment

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Sat Apr 4 00:55:11 UTC 2009

On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 5:50 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:
> Question - can a single 1394 interface running either the newer or
> older Linux Firewire stacks control more than one STB? Clearly 1394
> itself wouldn't have any problem but possibly the Firewire stack in
> Linux isn't good at that sort of thing? No big deal as I probably have
> 3 or 4 old 1394 cards around, but it would be nice not to have to
> worry about running out of PCI slots. My server has 3 and two are
> currently used with PVRs.

Yep, I've daisy chained up to three before without issues.  Both the
firewire stack and Myth work very nicely with multiple 1394 tuners on
a single box.  I have heard of some people who had issues with daisy
chaining, I just didn't have them myself.

Note that I only have experience with the old stack, although Jarod
recently did some work to get the JuJu stack working properly, and I
think he had that going-- there are just a lot fewer people with
experience there.

Robert