[mythtv-users] Comcast & Firewire STB's without 5C/Firewire equipment

Steve Reilly sfreilly at roadrunner.com
Sat Apr 4 00:48:36 UTC 2009

Robert McNamara wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 5:28 PM, Brad Fuller <bradallenfuller at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Yeah, I don't know how they would know if there was something on the
>> end of the 1394. But they could certainly disable the 1394 output
>> remotely.
>>

> See the response I just sent.  In addition to those reasons enumerated
> above, they *cannot* disable your firewire port, it's in violation of
> the FCC ruling demanding that it be functional.

when i told time warner that, they said they have the right to use
encryption, and they cannot encrypt over firewire or some s$&#t like
that...... "firewire ports are disabled for customer use" were their
exact words.  i never really pursued it further than about 3 emails, and
1 to the fcc which i never heard back.  i just wanted to try it, and got
over the urge.  These guys are going to do whatever they want anyway,
regardless of any minor law.

Steve