[mythtv-users] Determine the # of running front ends?

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Fri Apr 3 19:25:58 UTC 2009

> If all you want know is how many frontends are currently playing
> something then look at the inuseprograms table in the database.

That doesn't appear to be completely reliable. For instance, right now
it is telling me one of my frontends is in live Tv, except that box
was powered off about 18 hours ago.

Do you have a fixed list of hosts that could be connected? Do you have
the network control port enabled? You could always try connecting to
that to see if you get a response, or perhaps there is a similar way
you could "ping" the frontends individually.

If you don't have a fixed list, then perhaps you could combine the 2
ideas. Use the inuseprograms table (assuming that it doesn't
under-report the list of potential clients) and then try connecting to
them one by one to double check that they are actually up and running.

--
Ron
Ronald Frazier Photography - http://www.ronfphoto.com/