[mythtv-users] ITV HD 0.21 Fixes

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 17:39:46 UTC 2009

On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 10:31 AM, Andre Newman <mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk> wrote:

> On 3 Apr 2009, at 16:45, Robert McNamara wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 8:41 AM, Adam Skinner <kingmoffa at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> A mysql insert query for the ITVHD channel that I could manipulate would
>>> be welcome. Or rough idea of settings - mplexid , serviceid etc - any
>>> other values that maybe needed. I understand that getting program data
>>> may be a pain - I use EIT.
>>
>> That's just not possible as the problem with ITV HD is that it
>> (falsely) identifies itself as an MPEG-1 video stream, even though
>> it's H.264.  They more or less lie about what the stream contents are.
>> As the codec of the channel is not something stored in the database,
>> there's no SQL statement that would allow you to get the channel
>> working.  In short, the only way to make it work is applying the
>> patch, and the patches are all hacks (my own included).  That's the
>> reason there hasn't been a "final" fix so far, there's just been no
>> elegant way to do it.
>
> I'm futzing around with a script that remuxes ITV HD into an ordinary
> transport stream that my PS3 will play, I don't see why the Myth frontend
> wouldn't play it too.
> I used to use TSDoctor under wine but it's slow and gui only, I tried to
> reason with the Author for some cli options but he likes Windows GUI
> applications and doesn't understand why anyone would want anything else.
>
> http://www.cypheros.de/dvb_e.html
> TSmuxer will fix the transport stream too and that's what I use in my
> script, you can just rename the recording to end in .ts then throw it at
> tsmuxerGUI and it will do the right thing to fix the video stream.
> I'll publish my script when it's working properly, hopefully in the next day
> or two.
>
> I'm running the MythBuntu weekly builds of 0.21 fixes maybe there isn't
> support for ITV HD in the build you are using?
>
> As to tuning ITV HD it shows up in a scan as 10510 I just change the ID and
> description to ITV HD and turn on EIT from Mythweb and the schedule (for
> what it's worth) just appears, you may think it's not working but actually
> there are only a few programmes a week transmitted, I schedule like any
> other channel.
> If you want to do it manually, there are plenty of guides to adding it to
> FTA satellite receivers that give the relevant pids or look here:
> http://en.kingofsat.net/detail-itv-hd.php
>
> Andre

I can't speak for Mythbuntu, which may or may not have applied the ITV
HD hack, but once again, ITV HD will *not work* with any version of
myth without the hack/patch.  It falsely advertises its codec which
causes Myth (and any other libav* based player without a workaround)
to attempt to decode it incorrectly.  There is *no* stock version of
myth which will work with ITV HD.  If your copy of mythfrontend is
able to play back ITV HD recordings, it is because your packager has
applied the hack.  For further details, please see the ticket
referenced in the OP or my explanation above.

Robert