[mythtv-users] Sony Vaio, perhaps?

Travis Tabbal travis at tabbal.net
Fri Apr 3 15:00:18 UTC 2009

On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 8:25 AM, Daniel Dunning <dan3501 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Ideally, I would like to record content from FIOS.  I have an HD-PVR from
> Verizon, for which I pay $15/month which has only about 25-20hrs of
> recording of HD content.  I'd love to switch that out for a standard STB.
> I'm not sure if anyone from the greater Washington DC area has any info on
> how Fios is delivered around here.

Do you have a cable ready TV? Preferably one with a digital tuner. If so,
plug it into the cable directly. If you can get digital channels, that's
clear QAM. Analog only is also possible, I'm just not that familiar with
FIOS as we can't get it here.

The two tuner cards will let you record 2 channels at once. IF they can tune
the FIOS signal directly. If not, you will need an STB + an analog capture
card and IR blaster for each recording you wish to handle at the same time.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that FIOS supported CableCard devices,
so there is a fairly good chance it will work with QAM tuners. Even if it
does, you will not be able to record any encrypted channels. That usually
includes all premium channels but can include just about anything they want
to. The only way to know for sure is to try it, which is why I suggested a
TV as you probably already have one that can tune QAM if you have a recent
HDTV. It's always irritating to buy stuff just to find out it won't work. :)

Myth will likely never work with CableCard, so encrypted channels are out of
the question without analog capture. For HD, that leaves you with the HD-PVR
device controlling a STB. Not the cheapest way, but certainly the most
flexible.