[mythtv-users] OT: OTA CBS in Chicago?

George Mari george_mythusers at mari1938.org
Thu Apr 2 23:32:47 UTC 2009

Dewey Smolka wrote:

[deleted]

> If anyone is getting WBBM in Chicago, how are you doing it?

I'm in Vernon Hills, about 30 miles from the Sears and Hancock Towers.

For my VHF reception, I'm using a home-made folded-dipole antenna, cut
to channel 3, as described here:

http://www.wfu.edu/~matthews/misc/dipole.html

This and a Channel Master 4228 for UHF are mounted in my attic,
connected to a CM 7777 pre-amp, then split to 2 TVs and my HD-5500 card.

I never get drop-outs or any kind of signal degradation on WBBM-DT - it
comes in perfectly for me.  My signal strength is always between 50 and
75% on my TV for WBBM, higher for the UHF stations.

I'm about 60 miles from Milwaukee, and I even get the Milwaukee VHF
analog stations with that setup, but not the digital ch. 8 from Milwaukee.

A couple of months ago, I setup a Zenith converter box for my parents,
who are about 12 miles from Sears tower, close to O'Hare airport.  They
didn't get WBBM-DT either on the initial channel scan, so I tried
repositioning the rabbit ears they had completely horizontal, and
"broadside" toward Chicago.  I re-scanned, and WBBM-DT came in just
fine.  That set is on a second floor, east wall, so they have some
advantages there.

  I think the person who posted previously mentioning multi-path is on
the right track.  If you can see multiple ghosts on analog ch. 11
currently, you may not have any better luck when WBBM-DT moves to Ch. 12
in June.  You may just need to invest in a better antenna.  Or if you
can get your current antenna higher up, towards an east wall, or by a
window, or outside.

It's proably a good idea anyway, because ABC Ch. 7 is moving their
digital signal back to analog ch. 7 in June, so that will be 2 VHF
stations we'll need to receive here in Chicago.