[mythtv-users] Much improved 1080i display

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 22:04:35 UTC 2009

Hi

2009/4/3 Paul Gardiner <lists at glidos.net>:
> Interesting. I wonder why it's less sharp. I guess you can't use VDPAU
> for decoding with the fieldorder deinterlacer, so presumably you use

my impression about sharpness may be flawed as the colour rendering by
VDPAU is different ; much more colourful.
I had to tune the TV so it wouldn't look too much out of the Mars
planet... (like green were very green)

> XVMC? Perhaps you are running into the XV/interlace incompatibility
> problem with the nVidia driver. When I tried 576i from an FX5200, I

You can't use XvMC on GPU supporting XvMC ; nvidia removed XvMC
support on all GPU 8xxx and above.

> ran into that problem: it looked like only one interlace was
> displaying. On the other hand, Tom doesn't seem to be seeing a lack
> of sharpness, and he's using an nVidia card, I think. I guess the
> other possibility is that the TV's deinterlacing is losing sharpness.

But did he compare with VDPAU ?

> Shame. It wasn't supposed to be a play off between different aspects
> of quality. It was supposed to be an overall win in cases where it
> works.

Actually those tests let me decide to use VDPAU Temporal 2X for the
deinterlacer on 1080i content. My nvidia 9400 isn't fast enough to do
Advanced 2X unfortunately.
At first I liked Advanced 1X over Temporal 2X because it looks
sharper. But the motion in Advanced 1X isn't as good as Temporal 2X.
In Oz, we just have a new FTA channel: OneHD which is 24/7 sport. On
the other channel, I can say that I prefer Advanced 1X ; but on the HD
sport channel where motion is more important : I think Temporal 2X is
the way to go.

Motion with Interlaced 2X was great ; just like if I was watching TV
using the Sony's build-in tuner...
It's a pity that one has to spend so much time and effort just to
achieve what the TV does already :(

JY