[mythtv-users] Sony Vaio, perhaps?

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Thu Apr 2 20:01:42 UTC 2009

Daniel Dunning wrote:
> I see my mistake now, though.  The backend typically would house the tuners
> and do the processor intensive work of capturing the video streams, right?
> With the way my system needs to be set up, I cannot use my other computers
> for this, so I need to make this machine a combo-box.  While I can offload
> the DB, the tuner will need to be part of the machine that I buy/build.

The back end doesn't need to do much processor grunt work, these days. If it's
digital, it's just sucking the data out of the [air/cable/dish] and squirting it
on the disk(s). It *does* need to be reasonably able to handle the i/o load
you're going to throw at it, though.

The front ends need to be able to do the grunt work, to take the streams that
you've stored on disk and reformat them for display on your [monitor/TV/projector].

--

Mike Perkins