[mythtv-users] OT: Comcast in the SF SouthBay

Jens Holzhaeuser Jens.Holzhaeuser at gmx.net
Thu Apr 2 19:52:01 UTC 2009

On Wed, Apr 01, 2009 at 05:17:13PM -0700, David Brodbeck wrote:
> On Wed, April 1, 2009 5:13 pm, Raymond Wagner wrote:
> > There was a discussion about this on the users list a few weeks ago.
> > Since you can get 2-3HD channels, or a dozen SD channels in the space of
> > one analog channel, they're reclaiming that space.  Now in order to not
> > piss off their analog user base, you can get a cheap little tuner box
> > for $1/mo.
>
> Where I live in the Seattle area they're letting us have two for free.

Same here in Richmond, VA. I actually had them send me one last week for free,
to check out what this was about. Haven't played around with it too much yet.

> Oddly enough you have to activate them before they'll work, even though
> people here have reported there's no encryption involved.

The little box (Motorola DCH70) also provides On Demand Video (some free, most
for a fee), that is why a subscription and activation is necessary to get it
to work.

	Jens