[mythtv-users] Sony Vaio, perhaps?

Marc Randolph mrand at pobox.com
Thu Apr 2 18:39:59 UTC 2009

2009/4/2 Travis Tabbal <travis at tabbal.net>:

> On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 11:07 AM, Marc Randolph <mrand at pobox.com> wrote:
>>
>> I do care, but haven't seen a problem.  Have you?  If so, please
>> elaborate!  I'll take it for face value that it does some ugly SQL
>> accessing during scheduling.  What does that translate to in terms of
>> system resources?  [...]
>
> I have. My SATA drive, 500GB Seagate, worked fine for a while. But after
> about a year, I started getting breakups in the recordings. I checked the
> signal and tuner and discovered that it was fine. So I suspected I/O issues.
> Hacking the backend to remove the syncs and increasing the buffers helped a
> lot, but I still had some issues. So I grabbed an old 80GB drive I had
> floating around, dropped it in, and copied all the OS data over to it. A
> little work with grub and the BIOS, and I'm booting from the new drive. I
> kept the old drive in for recordings only. I have yet to see a breakup
> since. I am now convinced. Keeping the OS and database on a separate spindle
> is worth the bother. I'll probably do USB flash sticks in the future as they
> are cheap and big enough for what I need.

Very interesting.

I've been running a little over a year with 2x WD750AAKS (750GB) that
is set up with software RAID 1 (mirroring)... so my read performance
is better (helpful for SQL), but my write performance (for SQL and
recordings) should be worse.

As I mentioned, I haven't (yet?) seen a problem.  Maybe I don't record
a enough shows.  Or maybe the improved read performance matters more
than the decrease in write performance.

Thanks for the data point!

   Marc