[mythtv-users] Sony Vaio, perhaps?

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Thu Apr 2 17:32:35 UTC 2009

On Thu, Apr 02, 2009 at 12:07:05PM -0500, Marc Randolph wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 9:51 AM, jedi <jedi at mishnet.org> wrote:
> >
> >    Sure there is a problem with doing it that way. Whether or not you
> > see the problem or care is another matter. MythTV can do some really
> > ugly SQL when it's rebuilding the schedule (which it does frequently).
>
> I do care, but haven't seen a problem.  Have you?  If so, please
> elaborate!  I'll take it for face value that it does some ugly SQL
> accessing during scheduling.  What does that translate to in terms of

    High disk and CPU activity. It could contribute to overall system load
that could impact response time of frontends. The frontends have very tight
response requirements so it doesn't necessarily take much to foul them up.

    Plus you've probably have different access patterns between mysql
and recording/playback and that's going to drive overall performance
down. Either way, you still have that contention and concurrency that
needs to be managed.

> system resources?  Is it enough to swamp an IDE drive by itself, or do
> you only have problems on IDE when it is doing scheduling while
> simultaneously trying to record 4 shows at the same time?  When you
> move to SATA, what does the utilization drop to?

   Even enterprise fiberchannel/SCSI drives do poorly with random IO.

   Leave a little "grow room" and you can correct any of this stuff
as things progress.