[mythtv-users] ATSC tuner recommendation?

Timothy E. Krantz tkrantz at stahurabrenner.com
Thu Apr 2 15:10:15 UTC 2009

> > Just FYI, if you look at the pictures on the ebay ones and read the
> > watermark you can get back to a website of the seller where
> they are
> > sold for $12 plus shipping and has a seller warranty.  I
> ordered one
> > just to compare it to my pinnacle 800i't that I have been  using.
> >
> > Tim
>
> Thanks Tim for pointing that out.  However, AMD's/ATI's
> naming convention leaves a *lot* to be desired.  In the end
> everyone appears to refer to this set of cards as "ATI
> Wonder" cards.  Some here (I assume) say they work - yet the
> mythtv.org/wiki says they don't:
>

> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Video_capture_card#Cards_that_don.27t_work
>
> Or, at the very least, described a complex approach to
> allowing tuning of ATI cards.  Is there some place where the
> information is more specific to the different cards, accurate
> or up-to-date?
>
> The HDHR might be the mythtv turn key solution for ATSC
> tuners, but it is hard to ignore this price point.

Well I don't have mine yet to tell you if I got it to work or not.  It
should be here in a couple of days.  BUT a previous poster indicated that he
was using the cx88 drivers with it.  Looking in cx88-cards.c I see :

       [CX88_BOARD_ATI_HDTVWONDER] = {
                .name           = "ATI HDTV Wonder",
                .tuner_type     = TUNER_PHILIPS_TUV1236D,
                .radio_type     = UNSET,
                .tuner_addr     = ADDR_UNSET,
                .radio_addr     = ADDR_UNSET,
                .input          = {{
                        .type   = CX88_VMUX_TELEVISION,
                        .vmux   = 0,
                        .gpio0  = 0x00000ff7,
                        .gpio1  = 0x000000ff,
                        .gpio2  = 0x00000001,
                        .gpio3  = 0x00000000,
                },{
                        .type   = CX88_VMUX_COMPOSITE1,
                        .vmux   = 1,
                        .gpio0  = 0x00000ffe,
                        .gpio1  = 0x000000ff,
                        .gpio2  = 0x00000001,
                        .gpio3  = 0x00000000,
                },{
                        .type   = CX88_VMUX_SVIDEO,
                        .vmux   = 2,

etc...  I am assuming/hoping that it will work with this driver. I 'think'
this is a pure capture card and not an "all in wonder" that the wiki article
is talking about.  I will let you know my findings when I get my card and
know more.  $12 was worth the try in any case for me.