[mythtv-users] Sony Vaio, perhaps?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Apr 2 14:51:47 UTC 2009

On Thursday 02 April 2009 08:42:46 Marc Randolph wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 9:23 AM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> > On Thursday 02 April 2009 07:36:20 Daniel Dunning wrote:
> >> I'd love some feedback regarding a configuration I am considering.  I am
> >> thinking about purchasing a Sony Vaio (from Costco online).  Obviously,
> >> I would trash Windows add an external HD.  Is this a configuration that
> >> would work, I would love to see feedback.  The specs are as follows:
> >
> > [...]
> > It's best to have a separate drive for the OS and database, not possible
> > with a single-drive system. [...]
>
> While that might be ideal, I believe 74%[1] of the installs share a
> drive for both OS/database and recordings.  There's obviously no
> problem with doing that from an operation or performance perspective.
> It does aide in upgrades somewhat.

I'm not sure how many mono-drive systems are out there, but if you are
designing a system from scratch it's best to be aware of what the "optimum"
setup might be, even though you know you will have to make compromises.

I've started to boot systems from a Microdrive using a CF-to-SATA adapter,
which you can find space and power for easily. I haven't tried this with Myth
yet, but generally a 4GB drive can hold an OS with ease.

Using the MD for the DB might slow things down though.

Having a separate spindle for the DB might improve performance when doing a
lot of things at once that need to access the DB.

--
beww
beww at beww.org