[mythtv-users] CentOS vs Fedora, RAID vs LVM

f-myth-users at media.mit.edu f-myth-users at media.mit.edu
Thu Apr 2 02:45:10 UTC 2009

    > Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 16:51:34 +0100 (BST)
    > From: "Mike Holden" <mythtv at mikeholden.org>

    > Well I've been a long term user of reiserfs, and latterly (with Mythtv)
    > jfs as well (both on top of LVM), and both create and resize in a short
    > time, online, and with no reboot shenannigans either, It Just Works (tm).
    > Maybe I've been spolied all these years :-)

One of the differences is how much of your data might be left after
an unexpected power failure or kernel panic, for either RSFS or XFS.
(I dunno about JFS, but its design is similar in at least some ways.)

http://zork.net/~nick/mail/why-reiserfs-is-teh-sukc

P.S.  I use JFS on my Myth data filesystems because of
ext3 deletion is slow and Myth's slow-deletion wasn't an
option when I started.  I use ext3 everywhere else.