[mythtv-users] CentOS vs Fedora, RAID vs LVM

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 18:12:45 UTC 2009

On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 2:01 PM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> On Wednesday 01 April 2009 11:52:00 Travis Tabbal wrote:
>> On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 11:21 AM, John Drescher <drescherjm at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > I have had the good success with xfs for 2 years of mythtv storage on
>> > 7 of my storage groups. I was converting all the rest of my reiserfs
>> > storage groups to xfs but now I will be making them all ext4. ext4 is
>> > fast at large files like xfs and is not slow at deleting like ext3 or
>> > reiserfs. ext4 is also fast at small files unlike xfs which tends to
>> > be slow on operations with thousands of small files.
>>
>> Let us know how that goes. I'm still waiting for a bit on ext4 like I do
>> with every new FS. They always seem to have a little bug here or there that
>> causes data loss. I don't store any large amounts of small files on my XFS
>> drives, just recordings. So I can afford to wait for now.
>
> I used to wait 'till something was actually incorporated into the kernel,
> because I took that as an indication it was "mature" enough for me to use.
>
> That philosophy seems to have changed though, making early adopters of new
> kernels essentially alpha or beta testers, making the kernel a marketing tool
> for new developments.
>
> I'd like to see us go back to the "odd/even" model of kernel development, but
> that's not going to happen, since Linus considers reliability testing to
> be "boring".

I have been using ext4 on my new main development box at home (also
the master backend) since I installed it in late November. I am
running a 2.6.26 openvz kernel. I have probably 500GB on ext4 in 5 or
so partitions. One of these is a 200 to 300GB mythtv storage group
that has become pretty much the default since it was empty while the
others are full. In this time I have had only 1 problem with ext4. I
had a filesystem lockup when trying to grow the filesystem while
running a virtualbox on the same system. The good thing is that even
though I ended up having to reboot no data was lost and I was able to
do the resize2fs after the reboot. I think I had to use the magic
sysrq keys to force a reboot for that though.

John