[mythtv-users] CentOS vs Fedora, RAID vs LVM

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 17:21:29 UTC 2009

On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 1:11 PM, David Brodbeck <gull at gull.us> wrote:
> On Wed, April 1, 2009 8:51 am, Mike Holden wrote:
>> Well I've been a long term user of reiserfs, and latterly (with Mythtv)
>> jfs as well (both on top of LVM), and both create and resize in a short
>> time, online, and with no reboot shenannigans either, It Just Works (tm).
>> Maybe I've been spolied all these years :-)
>
> Good to know.  I've never (successfully) resized a ReiserFS partition, and
> I've never used JFS, so I wasn't aware.

I have had the good success with xfs for 2 years of mythtv storage on
7 of my storage groups. I was converting all the rest of my reiserfs
storage groups to xfs but now I will be making them all ext4. ext4 is
fast at large files like xfs and is not slow at deleting like ext3 or
reiserfs. ext4 is also fast at small files unlike xfs which tends to
be slow on operations with thousands of small files.

John