[mythtv-users] Long delays with remote occasionally

Larry J - Dell LT larry at foxgulch.com
Wed Apr 1 13:24:33 UTC 2009

Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 03/31/2009 04:49 PM, Larry on the Dell Laptop wrote:
>> Michael T. Dean wrote:
>>> Again, you do realize that there's an issue in Myth that affects
>>> -fixes users with versions prior to r19222, right?  So, it's likely
>>> that now that you've downgraded Myth to pre-r19222, the occasional
>>> delay was the screensaver one, not the other issue.
>>> Unless, of course, you did as I said and got rid of
>>> gnome-screensaver-command, that is.
>> Thank you again Mike.   I 'll  kill the screen saver again and see if
>> my 18722 shows the remote button press delay.  Maybe the delay is
>> prompted from two separate causes, this one and the one Josh has
>> identified.
> Not kill the screensaver, but prevent gnome-screensaver-command from
> ever executing--i.e. get it off your system or mv it or something.
> Mike

For what's worth,  in my Mythbuntu gnome desktop
System->Preferences->Screensaver (which you can also access from the
command line with  gnome-screensaver-preferences)    I   DO NOT have a
check by "Activate Screensaver when CPU Idle".    When I do a ps -A |
grep gnome   I DO see a process ID associated with the
gnome-screen-sav.    But since installing Josh's replacement
libmythavformat file, I haven't experienced any   IR Remote Button
Presses delays.   So here at least, it seems sufficient just to NOT HAVE
a check by "Activate Screensaver when CPU Idle".   I never see the
screensaver activate so I assume that my entry in the gui has prevented
the screen saver from activating/running.

So I've made all the corrections suggested by Josh.

1.  Screensaver is configured not to activate

2.  Option "UseEvents" "True"' in the "Device"  section  of

3.  Replaced  libmythavformat  with Josh's new and improved file.

So far,  I haven't had any "IR Remote Button Press Delays".   This is
with myth version  18722.