[mythtv-users] Dual Core Atom for frontend

Mark J. Small msmall at eastlink.ca
Tue Sep 30 18:57:01 UTC 2008

What do you folks think of using one of the new Dual Core Atom 330s for a low
power frontend?  The new one just came out and I can get it pretty cheap from
my favorite supplier ($89)

http://www.intel.com/products/desktop/motherboards/D945GCLF2/D945GCLF2-overview.htm

Does MythTV take advantage of 2 cpus each for hyperthreading to speed up
decoding?  Would this give it enough gets to handle HD later on, if I ever
decide to go HD?

Pros:

Low power
Intel GPU means good linux support.
S-Video out onboard
Dual core means more guts?

Cons:
Still low processing power
Crummy little fan on northbridge may be noisy.

What I'd REALLY like to see are some real world benchmarks in Linux comparing
the Dual Core Atom with the single core version and perhaps the Celeron 220
that was on the D201GLY2 (I've got one sitting on my shelf that I may put in
a frontend.  Also throw in a couple of Via Epias and maybe a VIA Nano.

Mark