[mythtv-users] Speed of the scheduler

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Tue Sep 30 17:39:42 UTC 2008

[Redirected to mythtv-users; CCed to Rob Smith.]

Rob Smith <kormoc at gmail.com> says:
> The scheduler takes between 15 and 30 seconds on my core2duo
> box.

My scheduler takes six to eight seconds on my almost two years-old
quad-core Xeon 1.6GHz (bottom of the barrel then and very slow by
today's standards, Xeonwise) box. AutoExpire List takes two seconds
despite 1119 recordings. My mythconverg backup dumps are more than
550MB in size, and I have four tuners. record has 290 rows.

I have noticed that if I use InnoDB as the database backend,
occasionally the scheduler will take many many seconds to run, so much
so that both Scheduled Recordings and AutoExpire List will time out on
my frontend. Restarting MySQL may or may not resolve the slowdown. I
have not (yet) seen this issue with MyISAM, so that is my own answer
to the question I posed way back when
(<URL:http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/259810#259810>)
on which backend to use.

--
Frontend:		P4 3.0GHz, 1.5TB software RAID 5 array