[mythtv-users] Linux mythtv ups?

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Tue Sep 30 17:22:07 UTC 2008

OCG Technical Support wrote:
>>From experience, their implimenation is flaky.  As well, they won't support
> anything other thatn Red Hat and Suse.  (Everything else and you're on your
> own)
> APC uses a java installer which can cause some interesting problems too.
>
> Once APC gets a better handle on the Linux community it will be great...

I just use NUT to interface to my APC UPS units.  Works great for
everything from small desktop units to the big rack-mount jobs.

The battery packs in APC UPS units are easy to replace, and are
invariably made up of standard-size gel cell batteries.  I've had great
success picking up "dead" APCs from my local computer recycler for a few
bucks each, then buying new batteries for them from electronics
wholesalers or surplus houses.