[mythtv-users] USB LIRC receivers

James Pifer jep at obrien-pifer.com
Tue Sep 30 13:04:29 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-09-24 at 07:27 -0700, mythtv at blandford.net wrote:
> Yan Seiner wrote:
> > Can anyone recommend a USB receiver and remote that works with myth+lirc?
> >

> I use the Microsoft MCE USB receiver and it works really well.  It has
> great range.  LIRC comes with a config file for it already.  Plug it in,
> copy the config file from the examples directory and it just works.

I'm using the MCE USB receiver after I split my frontend to another
machine (using mythdora). The great thing is I have three different
hauppaugge remotes and they all work.

BUT, I've been having a lot of trouble with it. I've had it configured
this way for a while and I don't remember it being this bad at the
beginning.  Either I have to hit the buttons more then once to get it to
react, or, I hit the button and it goes too many. Imagine combining
those and you can guess it gets very frustrating. I've tried messing
with the repeat option in lircrc, but have had little luck.

I also looked at CPU usage for X (issue from another thread) but that
doesn't seem to be the case. The X process jumps to the top, but it
doesn't consume a lot of CPU.

The WAF has already come down so I need to find a solution to this.
Those using MCE USB receiver, have you noticed this type of behavior?

I'm willing to try another receiver, but not too many options have come
up.

Thanks,
James