[mythtv-users] De-interlacing question

Jens.Peder.Terjesen at devoteam.com Jens.Peder.Terjesen at devoteam.com
Tue Sep 30 11:46:26 UTC 2008

>Question on the de-interlacers. I assume that if I have
>non-interlaced content, like a DVD or a 720p recording, the
>deinterlacer detects this and does nothing.
>

>I have been trying to deduce what is causing slightly jerky pannings,
>and have been playing with the deinterlacing settings when I realized
>that they probably are having no effect since the content I am
>attempting to play is not interlaced.
>

>Is this a correct assumption? I think I read that this is the case
>somewhere, but can't verify.
>

>Thanks

If the refresh rate of the display is not the same, or a multiple of the
material being played, this can cause jerky panning.

Earlier I had a 50" DLP TV that only accepted 60 Hz refresh rate on DVI. It
displayed PAL material very well except for jerky panning.

I now have a 46" LCD which accepts 50-60Hz, and I think also 24Hz/24p on
HDMI and the difference in panning is very noticeable.

I used a "Lord of the Rings" PAL DVD to test in both cases.

Jens