[mythtv-users] rookie mythtv prospective user

Barry Williams bazzawill at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 06:45:39 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-09-29 at 19:40 +0100, Mike Perkins wrote:
> paltron wrote:
> > My desjtop is permanently connected by broadband to the Internet and is NOT
> > part of a local network. I installed, de-installed, re-installed MythTV
> > several times, I even tried this Mythbuntu crap, always ended up with the
> > screen I described. Setup?What setup?I can't even get that far. I'm very
> > frustrated, because it's most likely a tiny thing. At this point I yanked
> > everything and reverted to my Hauppage WinTV 150 card's ability to watch live
> > TV. Paul ----- Original Message ----- From: Johnny Russ To: Discussion about
> > mythtv Sent: Monday, September 29, 2008 1:30 PM Subject: Re: [mythtv-users]
> > rookie mythtv prospective user
> >

> > Make sure you have a working network connection. Even if you have the
> > frontend and backend on the same machine, the frontend will complain and
> > bring up the screens you described if it can't reach the backend over the
> > network. If your network is funning fine, then you will want to check and
> > make sure things got done properly with mythtv setup. Make sure the settings
> > for the backend ip address and the mysql settings are right. There is info on
> > checking these things on the mythtv wiki.
> >

> > On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 11:57 AM, paltron <paltron at sympatico.ca> wrote:
> >
> > I have a Linux (Ubuntu 8.04 LTS) desktop. Hardware requirements duly met.
> > MythTV installs (both front and backend), however, when I fire up the
> > computer I get to the blue config screen, with no mouse control whatsoever,
> > only the tab key and the enter key works. It starts with a language
> > preference, then goes into a seemingly preset configuration mode, asking
> > about ping, mysql, gives a password, then I somehow navigate to finish and
> > the whole thing freezes there. After a reboot (tried both hot and cold) same
> > scenario, except it also tells me that no backend was found. It can't be just
> > me (I hope). What am I doing wrong (if anything)? Paul
> >
> Sounds like you are being automatically dumped into the front-end setup, when
> what you need to do is to set up the backend first.
>
> The front-end setup is what you will get the first time you fire up the
> frontend, ie by typing 'mythtv' or 'mythfrontend' at a command prompt (or
> something similar). It might be that your installation process automatically
> fires up one of these.
>
> You need to start 'mythtv-setup' first and go through the process of registering
> your TV card, sources, channels etc before you can hope to get the frontend
> going. The 'mythtv-setup' program fills in much of the database which is
> required by the frontend(s) to operate.
>
> A working network isn't required for the basics if you supply 'localhost' for
> the address of the backend. But you will need to have networking configured:
> this tends to be a given in most linux installations, so you are probably there.
> And your connection to your broadband modem counts as 'a network'.
>
> You will also need to have an Internet connection in order to be able to
> [...]

If I remember correctly mythbuntu existing only sets up a frontend
initally you need to go into the mythbuntu-control-centre and select a
backend role in your case Primary Backend. Then you can launch the
mythtv-setup in the mythtv configuration tab. There is also some other
useful configuration related to mythtv & media that may be worth taking
a look at depending what you already have setup on that box.