[mythtv-users] Audio problem PulseAudio & MythTV

Josh White jaw1959 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 23:38:42 UTC 2008

So this afternoon, I started playing around with pulseaudio (after seeing my
friends setup this weekend) and I am attempting to make all of my myth
frontends capable of playing music in sync, so when I'm wandering around the
house, I'll hear the same thing (seems like it would come in handy during a
party, or while cleaning, or whatever).

My frontends are a mix of Ubuntu, Mythbuntu, and Debian etch machines.  I
first installed PulseAudio on my ubuntu frontend, and use that as the main
server, and got it so it would play music on my debian frontend as I
expected.  The next machine I tried to add to the system was my mythbuntu
frontend, and that's where things started to get weird.  I followed the
instructions here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PulseAudio.  The machine runs
mythbuntu 8.04, with a largely default installation.  The machine also has
the standard ubuntu desktop packages installed as well, but normally
operates with XFCE under the default mythtv configuration.  The problem I
have now is that when I run this machine with the default mythbuntu session
(which is XFCE) I have no audio.  If I run with Gnome, all the audio works,
including PulseAudio.

I was under the impression that the audio configuration files are
independent of which window manager I use, and I'm not sure how to diagnose
this problem.  It seems something is preventing the audio from being played
with XFCE that does not affect the same machine while running Gnome.  Every
audio setting I can find in XFCE appears to be set correctly (though I must
admit that know very little about how the XFCE controls are laid out, and am
much more comfortable with Gnome).  What should I do to correct this?

-Josh