[mythtv-users] Filesystem for recordings

Bobby Gill bobbygill at rogers.com
Mon Sep 29 23:04:22 UTC 2008

On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 6:49 PM, David Brodbeck <gull at gull.us> wrote:

> On Mon, September 29, 2008 2:43 pm, Bobby Gill wrote:
> > I will be adding at least another big drive soon just for Recordings on
> my
> > Mythbox and I'm interested to know what the advantage(s) is for XFS over
> > EXT3? Some stuff I checked on Wikipedia was far too technical for an
> > intermediate like myself.
>
> From a MythTV perspective, the main benefit has to do with file deletion.
> When a large file is deleted in EXT3, the entire filesystem blocks until
> the deletion completes.  That means ongoing recordings can't write to the
> disk while the deletion is happening, potentially causing hiccups in the
> video.  XFS doesn't have this problem.
>
> However, MythTV has a workaround called "slow deletes".  This avoids the
> problem with EXT3, at the slight cost of causing the disk space used by
> deleted files to be freed up more slowly.
>
> In other words, either file system will work fine, but if you use EXT3 you
> should turn on the "slow deletes" feature in Myth.
>
> Hope this helps.

Thanks very much David, I actually did turn on the Delete Files Slowly
option in mythtv-setup a few weeks ago and it does take a while to get done,
but deleting now does not cause any hiccups in playback so I think it works
fine. Are there other notable advantages/disadvantages between the two from
a Myth perspective?

Thanks
Bob