[mythtv-users] UK scheduling problem (news in the middle)

Edmund edmund.1 at dial.pipex.com
Mon Sep 29 12:16:37 UTC 2008

Nick Morrott wrote:
> On 28/09/2008, Mattias Holmlund <mattias.holmlund at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Sep 27, 2008 at 8:32 PM, Edmund <edmund.1 at dial.pipex.com> wrote:
>>

>>> In the UK it is quite common for a programme to start in the evening and
>>> then stop halfway through. Prime time nightly news is then broadcast and
>>> then previous programme concludes after the news.
>>>
>>> It is scheduled this way. It is particularly common with films broadcast
>>> on ITV1 and Five.
>>>
>>> My myth settings are such that only the first part is being recorded.
>>> Clearly if I spot such a situation I can manually record both parts.
>>>
>>> Has anyone else come up with a solution for this?
>>>

>> This information will probably not help you directly since you cannot
>> control the data delivered by tv_grab_uk_rt yourself, but it may be
>> interesting nonetheless.
>>
>> We have the same problem with interrupted broadcasts in Sweden. I provide
>> the scheduling data for tv_grab_se_swedb and I have chosen to solve this by
>> treating these broadcasts as different part-numbers in the xmltv episode-num
>> field. The first part will have episode-num " . . 0/2 " and the second will
>> have " . . 1/2 ". I can then tell MythTV to record all episodes of this
>> programme. It won't work correctly if the programme is aired twice, since it
>> may be interrupted at two different places so that part 1 from the first
>> broadcast and part 2 from the second broadcast may not contain the entire
>> programme if you add them together. But I have never seen this happen in
>> Sweden.
>>

> I can have a look at implementing a similar feature in tv_grab_uk_rt.
> In my experience the main culprit has been ITV1 showing films with the
> news in the middle, and a quick fix is to either use an 'Any time on
> this channel' schedule and disable duplicate detection for the
> specific recording, or create 2 separate rules for each part.
>
> I don't use EIT data for channels with data supplied by the Radio
> Times, but I'll have a look at getting this working for XMLTV users..

Thanks for the information. Interesting to know that it is an
international problem. I agree that ITV1 is the main culprit, but I am
used to them and so I haven't been caught out by it. I have just been
caught out by five.

Please don't do any work on this on my account - if others think it is
worthwhile then by all means... I was just making sure I hadn't missed
an option somewhere.

Thanks.