[mythtv-users] NVP: prebuffering pause

Darrin mtv at aperature.org
Sun Sep 28 15:44:52 UTC 2008

I'm going to start with my apology.  I know you all have probably heard this
a hundred times already from other users, but there are a couple of reasons
for me sending this to the list.  1) prior bug entries concerning this issue
only point users to send to the mailing list and annoy all of you.  2) the
archives of this list are, to say the least, not very searchable.

Anyway, I've just installed the latest long term support release of Ubuntu
and I've spent several days now tweaking my configuration for mythtv.  This
machine (I'm hoping) will be a combined frontend and backend machine,
recording HD from a Dvico FusionHDTV 5 card.  Playback is through a NVidia
6200 with the proper NVidia drivers loaded for as much acceleration as I can
get out of it.

My question is this: this is an older system with only a 1.5Ghz cpu and
1.5GB of ram.  Under windows xp with the Dvico software, this can handle
1080i input and playback without any issues.  Under Ubuntu and mythtv,
however, I'm getting the above message during playback or watching live TV.
Channels which present a lower resolution signal don't show the issue at
all.  I'm not sure of the exact resolution at which the problem becomes
apparent, however.

Any suggestions on how I could work around this?  I'd even consider having
the machine transcode the video to a lesser resolution after recording if
that's a good enough fix.  At the current time, the output is to a standard
NTSC television, so a full 1080i capture/playback isn't needed, anyway.

Thanks.