[mythtv-users] Frontend and backend confusion

Rohit Chaudhri rohit.chaudhri at gmail.com
Sun Sep 28 06:38:30 UTC 2008

> It is definately possible to have a combined frontend/backend and as I
> only have a single TV and not a whole lot of spare cash this is the
> route I've gone.

I am still pretty new to MythTV & don't have a system up & running yet -
waiting on my usb tv tuner to ship in. I have only 1 TV and based on what
I've read and understood so far about MythTV - I'm planning to connect the
tuner to a laptop and use that laptop as the frontend+backend, I believe
this is the default config for the the Mythbuntu installation. Having just 1
tuner might be restrictive; if I can get all of this going and at some point
need to get additional tuners or split the frontend-backend, I'll do it.
So while its not necessary to have a separate forntend and backend, the
MythTV architecture is flexible enough to support several different
configurations.