[mythtv-users] FreeBSD 7

Drew Tomlinson drew at mykitchentable.net
Sun Sep 28 00:01:17 UTC 2008

Patrick Lahni wrote:
> Quoting Hansa <mythtv at logic-q.nl>:
>

>> Hi Patrick
>>
>> AFAIK there is a port in /usr/ports/multimedia/mythtv which should compile
>> on FreeBSD 7.x.
>> I started out running MythTV on FreeBSD 6.2 but it failed recognising the
>> tuners. Since then I haven't figured out why due to the lack of time.
>>
>> If you're having trouble to get MythTv working I can point you in the right
>> direction however. Try searching or posting on the freebsd-multimedia list.
>>
>> The maintainer of the mythtv port (usleepless =at= gmail .dot. com) is also
>> on that list. If you can't get a direct answer on the list he's probably the
>> one to contact.
>>
>> Good luck and keep us informed on this list.
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Hansa
>>

> Hi Hansa,
>
> I've compiled the port that is currently there, but it is outdated (no
> Schedules Direct support).  And you are right, despite the fact that I
> can get /dev/cxm0 working manually, mythtv-setup will not accept it as
> being a valid device and claims there is no input.
>
> As for joining the freebsd-multimedia list, I'll be sure to join over
> there but as far as I know, mythtv is scheduled to be removed from the
> ports tree as they've considered it broken for more than 6 months
> (http://www.freshports.org/multimedia/mythtv). I hope it is because
> he's simply been busy and has not abandoned it.

Being a FBSD user for the past 8 years, I too tried to install MythTV on
FBSD.  At that time the port was being actively developed but never
really worked.  I finally gave up and moved on to Gentoo as I was most
comfortable with it coming from FBSD.  I still use FBSD for everything
except MythTV.

Because I was interested, I continued to follow the discussion until it
slowly died.  I didn't really understand the specifics but I know some
of the regulars were fiddling with it and just not making much
progress.  I suspect the port is dead.

Good Luck,

Drew

--