[mythtv-users] USB->Serial for controlling DirecTV boxes

Drew Tomlinson drew at mykitchentable.net
Sat Sep 27 23:54:48 UTC 2008

Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> On Sep 26, 2008, at 10:58 AM, Drew Tomlinson wrote:
>

>> Brad DerManouelian wrote:
>>
>>> $ lsusb
>>> note the device ID of your USB to Serial adaptor, then run
>>>
>>> $ sudo lsusb -v -d [device id] | grep bMaxPacketSize0
>>>
>>> If you get "bMaxPacketSize0 64" then you have the PL2303X
>>>

>> Just last week I bought a Cables Unlimited adapter from Fry's like
>> this one:
>>
>> http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1104139&CatId=447
>>
>> Using your instructions above, I get:
>>
>> bMaxPacketSize0         8
>>
>> Is this what you're looking for?
>>

> Yeah, that looks like the right one. Does dmesg report that it's using
> the pl2303 driver?

I search dmesg for the string "123" but found nothing.  I know I had to
compile two modules to get this to work.  usbserial being the first and
one called ftdi_sio.  I don't know if this tells you what you need or not.

> Did you get it from a Fry's store or order it online?

I bought it at a Fry's store in Roseville, CA.

Let me know if there is anything else I can check for you.

Cheers,

Drew

--
Be a Great Magician!