[mythtv-users] HR21 DirecTV receiver as HD input to MythTV box through HDMI?

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Thu Sep 25 23:53:55 UTC 2008

On Sep 25, 2008, at 4:32 PM, Peter Pavlovich wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 7:15 PM, Johnny Russ <jruss at mit.edu> wrote:
> What about this one?
>
> http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/intensity/
>
> Assuming it is supported in Linux, would this not work?
>
> Regards,
>
> Peter

> This one is not supported in Linux. Even if it was you would have
> several problems. First that card is made to capture uncompressed HD
> video from HDMI for video editing. HD video editing prefer
> uncompressed formats because they trade space for speed of
> processing the video. An uncompressed 720p or 1080i/p video from
> this card will range from 600-800 GB/hr. The 2nd problem, as others
> have mentioned, is HDCP encryption. Capture cards that have hdmi
> inputs are required to not capture anything with encryption.
>
> I think that this might solve that problem ... the *MUX*HD* shown here
>
> http://www.curtpalme.com/MUX-HD.shtm
>
> I spoke with the vendor by email and they assured me that this unit
> would "fix" that pesky *H*D*C*P* issue.
>
> With that in mind, assuming that there is no *D*R*M* issue with
> capturing HDMI output, any other suggestions as to how to capture
> that? It looks as though the *MUX*HD* also has a DVI output which
> could be used for input to some sort of capture device. Any DVI
> input capture devices that you folks know will work with Linux?

You'd rather spend $285 plus whatever DVI capture device that might
exist with linux support (no idea if that does exist - if so, it's
going to be expensive and if so will almost definitely not have mythtv
support for it) instead of $220 for a device with good enough linux/
mythtv support that everything is working quite well right now just to
use HDMI instead of component? Why?