[mythtv-users] Asus Eee Box vs Dell hybrid vs Mac mini

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Thu Sep 25 19:51:41 UTC 2008

On Wed, September 24, 2008 8:25 pm, Chris Ribe wrote:

>> For me, 802.11g reaches more than 25 mbit/s though a wall using Atheros
>> cards and a Linksys WRT54GS AP. I can rsync large files with ~3 MB/s.
>> So you may check the bandwidth of your HD content and if it is below 20
>> mbit/s then 802.11g may still be an option.
>

> "reaches more than" is an entirely useless metric for the purposes of
> mythtv.  The only number that matters when streaming live tv is "never
> fails to exceed."

And that will depend not just on your own setup, but how much wireless
stuff your neighbors choose to deploy.

I live in an apartment complex and getting *SDTV* to stream over 802.11g
is tough.  At any given moment there are usually at least half a dozen
wireless networks within range of me, all competing for airtime.