[mythtv-users] Padding on Same Channel But Different Tuners

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Thu Sep 25 16:55:39 UTC 2008

On Sep 25, 2008, at 9:07 AM, Xesdeeni wrote:

> Well, you're right that this thread is now terribly off topic.  But
> I can't help pointing out that I've been programming in C/C++
> professionally for nearly 25 years.  I have released a number of
> open source and public domain utilities, apps, and plugins.  I have
> not, however, used *nix in my work or at home until now (well, if
> you don't count the Linux based Z-500 or router I patched with DD-
> WRT, or the one very simple command line app I ported from Windoze).

Then you've got a major headstart on most people who say they want to
learn how to contribute patches to the project. If you've got the
time, go for it! Implementing your feature would be greatly
appreciated by a number of people.

> The people I work with are Linux experts in the truest sense of the
> word, and they bloodied their heads banging them against the wall of
> package dependencies.

Don't let other people's horror stories scare you. There are plenty of
people who do not have these issues - like everyone who is running
mythtv that they have compiled themselves. I'm certainly no genius and
I muddled through.

> I have only installed MythDora, which of course requires no
> compilation.  I have been dabbling in setting up the HTPC, but even
> simple things like enabling Samba, enabling uPnP and MythWeb inside
> my home network (I haven't dived into the whole SSH or Apache thing
> to get MythWeb working remotely), and VNC from the Windows PCs to
> control the headless HTPC, have taken time and research for someone
> with absolutely no experience in Linux.

Yes, everything takes time to learn the first time you do it.

> I did note that the distribution did not include the source for
> MythTV, so I downloaded it from MythTV.org.  But unless I can build
> it with a minimum of extra overhead, making actual changes is a non-
> starter.
>
> Thanks for you feedback and assistance.  If you have any ideas about
> the other uPnP issue I found (hidden recordings/empty folders in the
> "By Title" section), I'd appreciate your insight there as well.

I've only used uPnP once or twice so I have no idea. Maybe someone
will respond to your other thread about it. I'm sure most people have
already had enough of this one.