[mythtv-users] Before I dive into Mythtv, here is some info I would like you to look at

daryl helwig sofasurferlinux at charter.net
Thu Sep 25 03:20:33 UTC 2008

steve wrote:

> theres no need to load any firmware files, everything is done for you.
> come to think of it, ive never had to load firmware files for the pvr
> 150 I use, what card are you using??
> - --
> Steve Reilly

As I said in my last response, I am using ( or trying to use ) the
Hauppauge HVR 1600 card.

I have now installed Mythbuntu on my other hard drive and then installed
the CX 18 driver and the firmware files as instructed in a
www.ubuntuforums.org thread. I know you said not to load firmware files
but for lack of further instruction I did it anyway.

I used the same proceedure which was used on THIS hard drive with a
standard Ubuntu installation.

Here is my current situation.

On this hard drive with the Ubuntu installation, the tuner card is
recognized. But using Mplayer gives a video feed that freezes up. And I
haven't figured out how to install and use ivtv-utils to impliment a
channel changer.

On the other hard drive I have installed Mythbuntu and installed the CX
18 driver, but when I run dmesg cx18 to check for card recognition, I
get error 12 and the card is not recognized.

So, do you recommend using this drive with ubuntu and possibly install
Mythtv, or stick with Mplayer and figure out how to get it wotking
better, or use the other hard drive and pray that you people can help me
figure out how to get my card recognized and then figure out how to
configure Mythbuntu?

I come to you in bended knee and hope that you can guide me down the
path of successful pctv.