[mythtv-users] Asus Eee Box vs Dell hybrid vs Mac mini

Tino Keitel tino.keitel at gmx.de
Wed Sep 24 19:01:34 UTC 2008

On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 23:24:25 -0400, Reid Anderson wrote:

[...]

> So, In looking for a FE for a bedroom (considering volume as a key
> component), any thoughts or experience with one or more of the above?

I read from the Dell that it gets somewhat lound under load, compared
to the mini, while being quiet when it is idle.

> PS- Am I correct in thinking that 802.11n would be the way to go?  To
> push 1080i/p HD content wirelessly would take some throughput and if I
> want to still use my laptop reliably, do I need (or would it be worth
> it to use) n instead of g?

For me, 802.11g reaches more than 25 mbit/s though a wall using Atheros
cards and a Linksys WRT54GS AP. I can rsync large files with ~3 MB/s.
So you may check the bandwidth of your HD content and if it is below 20
mbit/s then 802.11g may still be an option.

Regards,
Tino